The objectives of the Institute are to:
- Improve the quality of health service administration, planning and management in Nigeria.
- Determine what standards of knowledge and skill are to be attained by persons seeking to become members of the profession and raising those standards from time to time as circumstances may permit.
- Secure the establishment and maintenance of register of person entitled to practice as members of the profession of Health Service Administration.
- Establish courses for training of persons seeking to become members of the profession.
- Regulate and control the practice of health service planning and administration in Nigeria in all ramifications.
- Approve any institution either in Nigeria or elsewhere, which the Institute considers is properly organized and equipped for conducting the whole or any part of the course of training approved by the Institute.
- Encourage members of the profession to participate in continuing education programme through conferences, workshops, seminars etc.
- Collect, collate and publish information on health service practice, health laws, or issues of interest to members of the profession and public at large.